How to resolve "type(of: instance)" being shadowed by "instance.type"?

I have a class like this:

class File {
   type: FileType
   url: URL
   func fetch(from server: Server) {
       type(of: server).get(from: url)
   }
}

However, it fails to compile with "Cannot call value of non-function type ‘File’” inside the body of fetch(from:). I believe the reason is that self.type shadows type(of: server).

Other than renaming the “type” property, is there any other way to work around it? I tried "Foundation.type(of: server)” and found out that it’s from the standard library and not Foundation. Is there a prefix that denotes the standard library?

A more general question, since this is clearly a function call, why would it be shadowed by self.type, which is clearly a property access?

I’m using Swift 4 in Xcode 9.

Regards,
Glen

class File {
  }
}

However, it fails to compile with "Cannot call value of non-function type ‘File’” inside the body of fetch(from:). I believe the reason is that self.type shadows type(of: server).

Other than renaming the “type” property, is there any other way to work around it? I tried "Foundation.type(of: server)” and found out that it’s from the standard library and not Foundation. Is there a prefix that denotes the standard library?

The standard library module is named ‘Swift’, so ‘Swift.type(of:)’ should do the trick.

···

On Sep 22, 2017, at 10:10 PM, Glen Huang via swift-users <swift-users@swift.org> wrote:

A more general question, since this is clearly a function call, why would it be shadowed by self.type, which is clearly a property access?

Regards,
Glen

Ah, how come I never thought about trying that!?

Thanks!

Regards,
Glen

···

On 23 Sep 2017, at 1:10 PM, Slava Pestov <spestov@apple.com> wrote:

On Sep 22, 2017, at 10:10 PM, Glen Huang via swift-users <swift-users@swift.org> wrote:

class File {
}
}

The standard library module is named ‘Swift’, so ‘Swift.type(of:)’ should do the trick.

Regards,
Glen