How to add local Swift Package as dependency?

So the whole idea is that I could test it before it's deployed somewhere by using the local branch. I think this is still possible, just need to tool around with it a bit more.

I'm working on my libs by using them in my projects so I expect that my libs are connected locally so I can change their code on-the-fly. With Cocoapods I can do easily cause they put local pods to the specific folder named Development Pods and this is extremely useful.

I came here while trying to find out why dragging my Swift package into an Xcode project was not working. The package would show up in the project pane, but without the disclosure triangle, and the library it contained wouldn't show up when I tried to choose it with "Link Binary with Libraries".

The solution I found was to close the Xcode project after dropping the Swift package. On reopening the project, the disclosure triangle appeared, and everything else worked.

This is in Xcode 11.3 on MacOS 10.15.1. Hope this helps someone else.

2 Likes

If you're looking for a "development pods" type of experience, where you've got a local copy of the package source and you want to edit that source from inside the host project without having to commit and push your changes there's not currently a way to do that. However... I have found a hack that gets you halfway there. I'm using this approach in a sample project I include in one of my package's repositories.

Before proceeding, the following assumptions are made:

• you have your package repo cloned to your machine
• create a sample Xcode project in your Package repo

The root directory of your package repo should look like this, more or less:

Package.swift
Sources/
Tests/
SampleProject/

Then perform the following steps:

1. Use the Xcode GUI to add your package to the sample project. You'll need to use the actual HTTPS URL to the repo origin. Specify a branch name to a branch you're comfortable working from regularly, e.g. a "develop" branch or something.

2. Open the sample project's project.pbxproj file in a text editor.

3. Find the XCRemoteSwiftPackageReference section.

4. Edit the repositoryURL value so the line reads: repositoryURL = "../";

Now you should be able to build your sample project and run it normally.

The big caveat here is that it won't see any changes you haven't committed to the specified branch on your local clone. The good news is you don't have to push those changes to remote. Xcode resolves the ../ path to a local file URL and clones your local clone, not the remote branch.

1 Like

This is the answer I was looking for, thank you. One small note is that latest committed changes are not made available immediately to the project, for that you need to select File > Swift Packages > Update

@Aciid As drag-n-drop approach does not seem to work for the case when application that uses the package is in the same folder with the package itself, can you consider it as a bug worth fixing? It seems to be a common scenario for libraries to provide a sample app along with the library itself.

Can you provide a sample project that isn't working?

For example this one https://github.com/ilyapuchka/SwiftNIOMock
It works with an approach described by @jaredsinclair but when dragging the package folder as you suggested first Xcode didn't resolve it (it only showed it as a package reference in the project structure). Now when I try to repeat this Xcode crashes so I can't make a screenshot, but I committed the change in the branch "local-spm". I can see that the project now has an entry that points to the package:

B506677E23EF674200EC3738 /* SwiftNIOMock */ = {isa = PBXFileReference; lastKnownFileType = folder; name = SwiftNIOMock; path = ..; sourceTree = "<group>"; };

Something else must be going on here. That general layout has never given me any issues on other projects.

But I can verify that doing the same thing on your project results in an Xcode workspace that crashes Xcode if you try to open it. Since this is an Xcode issue, I would talk to the Xcode folks over at the Feedback Assistant or the Developer Forums.

Submitted it as FB7570938

Not sure if someone else already replied to this, but this is because you have two projects open at the same time, first one is your lib and second is your project you dropped your lib into. You have to close your lib project for it to work from the second project. ;)

This seems to be the best way of handling it. You can even modify the source code of the package from your main project, and it gets applied immediately.

Terms of Service

Privacy Policy

Cookie Policy