Handling long streams of data, or handling header and body efficiently?

So, there are two main ways of achieving my second goal, of "Only read data off the socket when it's requested":

1. Turn on .autoRead at the beginning of the connection (for most protocols at least), turn it off when the body is encountered, and turn it back on when the code wishes to process the incoming body.
  2. Disregard .autoRead by overriding _ChannelOutboundHandler.read and only allowing the ChannelHandlerContext.read to be performed when needed (beginning of connection, when we want to read the body)
    1. A call to .read() seems to incur a new channelRead according to the documentation, which seems expected.

In this example, it looks like it uses this mechanism for something slightly different. This is across entire requests, by preventing another entire request from being read before the current one has finished writing its response. My example, on the other hand, is within a single request, preventing the body from being read until the header is processed.

This makes sense. But I think that if the .read() calls are managed carefully, the buffers are more-or-less a constant size, and not as vulnerable to DoS.

Time to write a simple proof of concept. Thanks a lot for your help!!