First time to the new forum! I am a WWDC Student Scholar and a student looking forward to contribute and participate in GSOC'18 under Swift

Hello Everyone!

I am so thankful to everyone for getting Swift to GSOC'18. I am an Apple Student scholar and my name is Aviral. I am a Student from Delhi University and is pursuing Masters in Computer Science. I remember meeting someone from the community at DUB DUB'17 and discussed getting Swift under GSOC and its finally here. I know I am being an opportunist here but I am seriously looking forward to get guidance and next steps so that I can contribute to Swift Project and frame a proposal so that I can participate in GSOC'18 under Swift.

Thank you. Looking forward to the next steps.

3 Likes

Welcome, Aviral! We'd love to have you contribute to Swift under GSOC!

Any ideas for where you'd particularly like to focus?

To be honest I am using Swift from 1.0 and I used cocoapods and all so I am kinda interested in Swift Package manager but I dont have great details and knowledge about the internal functioning of it. Other project I want to try is Swift- format tool.

I still have a long way to go and learn. I still count myself as a naive and would love to understand where should I focus first and what should I keep in mind.

Can we move this off of evolution and into using Swift or development?

3 Likes

moved to Development and Package manager.

Hi Aviral!

I am happy to answer any SwiftPM related question you have. We have a few SwiftPM proposal ideas on the "Project Ideas" page. You can also submit a proposal with your own idea!

A good way to start would be to familiarize yourself with SwiftPM. We have a beginner guide here and a detailed guide here. There is also more documentation in the SwiftPM repository. If you would like to explore the code, we have some starter bugs in Swift's bug tracker.

1 Like

Awesome! Thank you @Aciid
I will take sometime in the starting but I hope to get better. Looking forward to work with you.

Hi! I'm also looking to participate in GSoC this year with Swift! I was taking a look at some of the starter bugs and came across SR-6978. @Aciid, would it be ok to assign this to myself and start trying to work on it? I really want to familiarize myself with the codebase before I start writing up a proposal.

Miguel

3 Likes

Hey @Vercantez,

You should definitely feel free to take any unassigned bug. You can also comment on a bug if you have any questions or need further clarification. SR-6978 sounds like a very good starter bug.

1 Like

Greetings everyone !

I would humbly like to contribute and learn the swift platform.Its basically dream come true as swift being in GSOC 2018,I am a student from Third Year,Computer Science Domain and tastes all flavors of developer choices ,a learner who is read to learn new platforms n feel the adventures of code ,basically follows three rules Commitment ,Adaptability and Perfection.

Thank You

Hi @Aciid! I`m a swift ios developer from Kazakhstan! I'm actually interested in two projects from GSoC idea lists:

• Swift compiler integration with external tools -> easy
  • SwiftPM: Improve command line status reporting. -> medium

I'd like to know what is the entry point for projects from swift's perspective? Should I be an expert or mid-level is sufficient if a person will work hard? Thanks!