Evolution process discussion

Okay. I'm just making a point about the limits of what I think that extra structure before review can achieve.

I think the review period needs to be lengthened. It's not a small thing to add something to the standard library, and 7 days is not enough to allow everybody who wants to comment to do so. Participants don't just have to read the proposal - they also need to find the time to read the discussion thread. I find that latter part can require careful thought and re-reading, and takes much more time than reading the proposal itself. To be clear: it's really great to have those discussions, but it would also be nice to give them the time they deserve.

I also agree with @Nevin about having a demo period in the preview package. That period can be announced like a review, with a discussion thread, and should also be long enough for everybody to have a say. Hopefully lots of people make use of the preview package, so just being there will be an advertisement of the proposal.

2 Likes

To be clear, it’s a goal that reviewers shouldn’t need to read the review threads, and one thing I’d like to see here is suggestions about how to draw attention to important points from review discussion that other reviewers might want to pay attention to.

Does Discourse allow us to add something like likes, but maybe with the :thinking: or :face_with_monocle: characters? As if to say: "I don't necessarily agree with you, but this is an interesting point".

Even without reading the review thread, I think we need longer than the formal 7 day period. Sometimes you have a busy spell or are on holiday, and later find that you've missed a review that you would have liked to participate in.

7 Likes

The idea of just extending reviews more is certainly worth considering, thank you.

Within the Evolution: Proposal Reviews folder, perhaps each review thread could be placed into its own subfolder (i.e., a folder labelled with the review title and number). If a debate or counter-proposal warrants special attention, the review manager could create a new thread, in the same folder, with a title that solicits input on the specific debate/counter-proposal.

That new, targeted thread will float to the top of the Evolution pile. By virtue of its title, it should grab attention. By virtue of its focus, it should generate the desired feedback.

3 Likes

That is what always confused me, I have seen proposals sent back to the pitch phase for re-consideration and I liked this. It allowed people to join the new thread and polish the proposal further. However recently I only always wonder, "how is this complex proposal back to another review round without being discussed in a pitch phase after it was returned?". This private re-evaluation phase is definitely not welcome for me personally and maybe for the community as well, as it does not give us any chance to provide feedback anymore.

Look at the property wrapper review. Some of the proposals part were re-evaluated privately some where made public, each review round had sneaky feature that almost only those people coughed that followed esch and every thread.

I think if a proposal is returned, then it should be announced and there should be a new pitch thread, regardless of its length (it could be short, but it could be massive like it was with property wrappers). I think this would be the golden mid which is only fair for everyone.

5 Likes

FWIW the behavior seems to be for the review to last as long as meaningful discussion is happening. That along with the typical pitch phase discourse means it's unlikely for most substantive support/criticism to not exist at the end of a review period. I see the proposal review as more of a peer review of the technical/philosophical design of a feature rather than a democratic yes-no vote. In that context it's not important that every voice is heard, so much as every idea is heard and evaluated.

That said, given the review period can often continue past the cut off anyway, some sort of official "optional extended discussion period" of an additional week seems like it would fit.

1 Like

I agree that making review periods longer would be helpful. Another piece of process that I thought was going to become standard but never actually caught on was announcing on the forums well ahead of time once a proposal had review dates it was scheduled for. Having a relatively brief review period combined with little to no warning about when that review is actually going to happen makes it difficult to plan around writing a thorough review, even for proposals that I have strong feelings about.

1 Like

Maybe 3 weeks per pitch review is better, and take voting in the last week for visual representation.

The Core Team has made it clear before that a community "vote" is not an appropriate way to think about how decisions are made for Swift, and I would oppose adding it as an explicit phase of the Evolution process. IMO, it would only make it a pain for the Core Team to accept/reject a proposal against the majority, and would result in discussions along the lines of "why do we even take a vote if the Core Team isn't going to listen to us?" It's not clear to me what value a vote would provide to the current process, so the added burden to the Core Team of justifying unpopular decisions seems to be not worth it, to me.

8 Likes

This is the crux of it. Move the task of identifying issues most worth of follow up from the proposer (and the general thread) to the review manager. I could see a couple of approaches:

1. With a three week review, the review manager could do a summary at the end of week one and week two of the particular issues already brought up that deserve more attention. This could be a formal process perhaps summing up what the core team thinks most needs review.
  2. No idea how feasible this would be but it would be nice to be able to “subscribe” to a concept at the pitch stage so that you could get a personalized call to action when a pitch enters review. For people who participate irregularly but still have valuable perspectives that might be a nice way to draw them in.
7 Likes

I think it would be good to establish a more positive attitude towards spinning up new threads.

Afaik there's no strict real rule that says all discussion about a specific topic should stay in a single place, but it's quite common that people complain when a second thread is created.

Why "multithreading"?

Threads in Discourse are sequential lists, not trees — so discussions are often scattered and mixed with other (sub)topics. This is especially bad when people start loosing themselves in debates about details that might not even be relevant for the actual pitch. I think that's fine, but it would be nice if people created separate topics to discuss the importance of Newton for computer science, or how the world would look like if the IBM had chosen a Motorola CPU for its first PC.

Counter proposals

The Evolution forum could be a much nicer place if pitch threads would always focus on improving a proposal (without trying to wreck ideas). But when you bring together many people with conflicting goals and opinions, you end up with a "destructive" discussion easily.

Splitting could make the group of participants not only smaller, but also more homogenous, thus reducing friction.

Instead of pointing out why "the enemy proposal" is worse, the question would be "why is our idea better?" and ideally, we would end up with a compact list of advantages for each possibility, which then can be presented in the review thread.

Who owns a thread?

I don't think the author of a pitch should have special (technical) rights, but when a thread starter acknowledges a concern and solicits to move on, I'd consider to grant them the privilege of moderation. The goal should be to help, and it's up to the author to decide what is helpful.

Being supportive does not mean to stay silent when you spot a deficiency, though — I'd say the opposite is true:

You can only address shortcomings when you are aware of them.

Also, if I came to the conclusion that a pitched change could only work after someone solves the halting problem :-), mentioning that could save the author some work...

I'd be especially careful to have read the whole thread before expressing negative feedback, though.

But what if an idea is just bad?

Well, if a proposal is outright terrible, it will never pass review, won't it?

6 Likes

It's interesting that most of the suggestions here are about adding more stages to the process and making review threads run longer and receive more posts, given that this discussion was spawned by a review process that was described as “particularly drawn-out” and “tested the patience of some of the participants”. It's always easy to argue for more process, more scrutiny and more input from more people, but I don't know how that helps here. I don't feel particularly strongly about this, but perhaps in this particular case the core team could have been bolder about accepting some parts of the proposal and/or narrowing the discussion instead of sending it back to the start twice.

2 Likes

I guess not all of us feel that it was so drawn-out. Perhaps by swift's standards.

Personally, I've felt for a while that swift moves too quickly. Things go almost immediately from "good idea" to "let's ship this in the next release of the standard library". That will hopefully be addressed by the new preview library:

Adding these packages serves the goal of allowing for rapid adoption of new standard library features, enabling sooner real-world feedback, and allowing for an initial period of time where that feedback can lead to source- and ABI-breaking changes if needed.

At the same time, you can make a reasonable argument that Swift also moves too slowly (without it being a contradiction). We still have a lot of work to do in order to provide a pleasant interface to basic functionality.

Personally, I think the major job of the standard library is to provide interface types. Whatever other types or algorithms your module uses internally is its own business, but when it comes to interfacing with other modules, everybody needs to agree on what an Array is, for instance. However, it's (more-or-less) OS neutral, so it doesn't help with lots of the code we actually write. With that in mind, if you think Swift moves too slowly, I think you need to look beyond the standard library:

• Foundation needs a radical refresh. It has an important role in the ecosystem, as it provides the interface types for OS-level functionality (like the filesystem), like the standard library does for generic types and algorithms. You definitely want all modules to have the same understanding of FS primitives. However, the current interface doesn't fit well with modern Swift, it's not very pleasant to use, and there's nothing we (the community) can do about it. I think Apple's arguments against an open evolution process have become weaker, since the Swift standard library is now also a Darwin system library. There's no reason for the new Foundation to be less open than the standard library. Maybe this time we'll even get an OrderedSet :scream:

• We also need a new library (let's call it Basic), for important non-interface types and functionality. This would include useful collections like BTree, and modern interfaces for things like command-line parsing. The reason this is not part of Foundation is so that its version can float, and so that it can be back-deployed to older Darwin OSes.

In other words:

Stable Floating
Generic stdlib stdlib-preview
OS-level Foundation "Basic"

The major difference between a "Basic" package and stdlib-preview, is that things in the preview package are expected to become stable and migrate to the stdlib eventually. Things in Basic wouldn't necessarily have that expectation.

4 Likes

Sorry all - this is a bit long...

think the central issue is that we want to front load as much as possible all the OhCrapIDidn’tThinkOfThat problems that require the proposer (and community) to work through thorny issues. And we need the proposer and community at large to be able to correctly identify those issues that the core team thinks need more work earlier. What draws reviews out is when legitimately important to deal with issues trickle in little by little over longer time periods or the proposer and community don’t realize that something is going to be an issue to the core team.

So the operative task is getting the people capable of identifying the OhCrapIDidntThinkOfThat issues into the thread as early as possible, and making sure the core team gives feedback early to shape the direction of the conversation.
———
A couple of spitball thoughts:

What about a formal review cadence? Like reviews always drop on the first week of the month? That way infrequent but insightful posters can know the time when their presence could add the most value to the community.

And perhaps the review manager could be more proactive about soliciting feedback. Perhaps spend a few minutes looking up who has ever commented on a similar proposal and mentioning them so they get a notification.

To that end, since it is the job of the proposer to do their due diligence before proposing perhaps we could make it required that the proposer list the threads that they’ve read through for background. Then the review manager can just pull the posters from those threads for notification come review time.

Finally, while I get the core team not wanting to poison the process by weighing in too early, I think it would be useful to at the very least get a Top 5 Issues list before the review begins so that posters know which part of the proposal it’s most important to kick the tires on.

2 Likes

Moderator note: this post was originally the first in a separate thread; with Dave's permission, I've merged it and my response into this thread.

When SE-270 was accepted, the review manager invited a discussion about the review process:

From the full text of the acceptance announcement, it's clear that the core team is dissatisfied with something about how the review went. I interpret what I read there as follows—which may be inaccurate; please feel free to correct me:

• The core team thinks the author's response to counter-proposals could have been more complete.
  • The core team is concerned that when reviews get very involved, potential reviewers tune out.
  • The core team is concerned about the effort it takes from authors to get a proposal accepted.

I'd like to point out first that this was not actually a drawn-out review. There were just 15 posts over the nine days between the announcement of the review starting and its resolution. If the process of getting the proposal accepted was exhausting it's because it actually got three back-to-back reviews, in quick succession. Given that review feedback resulted in substantial revisions each time, it seems clear to me that the proposal should have gone back to the pitch phase for more collaborative design work, but instead we returned to find yet another review had started, with a new revision of a large proposal.

Having worked with most of members of the core team for many years, I know and respect them, and draw no conclusion about why the proposal was handled this way. That said, to someone less connected it could easily appear that core team had decided the proposal needed to pass, and if there were objections, it was just going to keep running reviews until everyone—including core team members—got so sick of the arguing that they decided to “just accept it already.” Therefore, I think handling feedback this way is bad PR, discouraging to reviewers, and so tiring for everyone that it can't help leading to worse results for the language.

In the end, I didn't say anything about counter-proposals because I don't think they're at the core of a problem—I just put that in the title because it's what we were invited to discuss—and therefore I don't know if any of what I've written actually addresses the core team's concerns. But that's my take on what could have gone better, as a reviewer.

12 Likes

First off, thank you for your response.

I do feel that counter-proposals are at the core of the question. This thread was not meant to be about SE-0270 specifically, but it's an illuminating example. Over the course of SE-0270, we received a lot of feedback from the community. Most of that feedback was over what we would normally consider minor aspects of the proposal: method names and whether to include a few secondary APIs. Your feedback was the major outlier, because while you did make some comments of that kind, you also made a number of much deeper objections and suggested an alternative design that was quite different in nature.

The Core Team is satisfied with how the minor feedback was handled. The author responded by making (in our view) minor revisions to the proposal, and the community seemed generally satisfied with those changes. In the end, there were some disagreements about how to apply the naming guidelines, and the Core Team simply made a decision on those issues. While the overall review did drag out a bit, that was largely due to the US holiday schedule — well, that and the review-manager switch, which we should've foreseen the need for.

Our concern really is about our handling of counter-proposals like yours. In this case, while the proposal author and the Core Team did spend some time discussing it, it wasn't something the community ended up providing much feedback about. In general, the Core Team wants to prevent the evolution process from being overtly biased towards the first proposal to make it into review, and ensuring that counter-proposals are adequately "briefed" and discussed during review is an important part of that. That's why we're interested in ideas for how to better call attention to major new ideas that come up during review. That may just be as simple as the review manager explicitly directing people's attention to them.

4 Likes

Characterizing the disagreements present in the end as being about how to apply naming guidelines trivializes something that is IMO rather serious, besides being inaccurate—there was no disagreement about applying guidelines in the last review. . The first version of the proposal demonstrated (in my view) that it lacked clarity about the abstraction being proposed, and the disagreements at the end demonstrated (to me) that the lack of clarity had persisted through two subsequent revisions. It seems to me that the most likely reason that the the issue is being characterized in this trivial way is that the core team was just tired of dealing with it.

That is easily explained, in my opinion. Most peoples' tolerance for disagreement is extremely limited. Because the proposal was sent immediately back into review without confirming that the concerns that spurred counterproposals had actually been addressed, there was a high risk that the disagreements that caused me to make counter-proposals would persist, which in fact they did. By the time we got to the second round of review and disagreement was still evident, most people tuned out.

I should also add, I made counter-proposals in an effort to be constructive rather than simply critical, but even if I had just made substantive criticisms with no proposals, it would have been far better for the core team to have waited for a consensus position to form in a second pitch phase. In other words, I still don't think the presence of counter-proposals are the issue.

IMO it's unrealistic to expect to observe broad interest in one person's deeply considered objections, especially if those objections become a repeated source of disagreement over three closely-spaced reviews. The better course would have been to encourage consensus building among those who were interested, outside the pressured context of a formal review.

The Rust community also has discussed this issue before, so their observations might be helpful. (blog, discussion thread).

I like the idea of breaking up the proposal into several steps each with clearly defined goals. I want to draw particular attention to one of the points mentioned there:

Steady state: At some point, the discussion reaches a “steady state”. This implies a kind of consensus – not necessarily a consensus about what to do, but a consensus on the pros and cons of the feature and the various alternatives. Note that reaching a steady state does not imply that no new comments are being posted. It just implies that the content of those comments is not new

I feel like evolution proposals sometimes spend too little time talking about the rest of the solution space (alternatives) and the downsides. There are lots of axes to consider, such as tooling support (formatters, linters, syntax highlighting, debugger etc), quality of diagnostics, potential compiler performance cliffs, backwards deployment and so on. Often, these get brought up in the discussion but the resulting conclusion ("yes, we will take a hit on X but we accept that tradeoff" or "no, we don't want to give up X which is why we do this") doesn't necessarily make its way back into the proposal document.

Taking time out to discuss this also means that a proposal already incorporates its counter-proposals in a way, because it talks about the different points in the design space and why it prefers one over the other.

At the same time, I feel like the linear nature of the forum is not really well-suited to having multiple overlapping discussions. It is fine if there are 2-3 discussions but with a large proposal, it can quickly balloon into many slightly different conversations and it isn't really clear who is in agreement with whom. Using GitHub issues might be one possible solution. Having "shepherds" (either the review manager or someone else) actively summarize the state of the discussion in between might also be helpful. The different stages kinda' force that to happen as there needs to be some summarizing at the end of each stage.

At the same time, this process might be a bit too much for certain proposals which are small in scope (certainly, what exactly falls under small is subjective... for example, I think SE-0276: Multi-pattern catch clauses qualifies as small whereas a type system feature like variadic generics would not qualify as small). For those, we can continue to have the more lightweight process today.

9 Likes