Error building on running build-script --debug --xcode

Hi everyone!

I was able to compile Swift at some point (months ago), but now I'm not being able to do it.

I've updated the repos using update-checkout , but this is what I get when running build-script --debug --xcode:

Build system information
error: Cycle in dependencies between targets 'complete-test' and 'swiftBasic'; building could produce unreliable results.
Cycle path: complete-test → sourcekitd → SourceKitService → swiftBasic → complete-test
Cycle details:
→ Target 'complete-test' has link command with output '/Users/marcelofabri/projetos/swift-oss/build/Xcode-DebugAssert/swift-macosx-x86_64/Debug/bin/complete-test'
○ Target 'complete-test' has target dependency on Target 'sourcekitd'
→ Target 'sourcekitd' has target dependency on Target 'SourceKitService'
○ That command depends on command in Target 'SourceKitService': script phase “CMake Rules”
→ Target 'SourceKitService' has target dependency on Target 'swiftBasic'
○ That command depends on command in Target 'swiftBasic': script phase “CMake Rules”
→ Target 'swiftBasic' has target dependency on Target 'lib-Basic-8-UnicodeExtendedGraphemeClusters.cpp'

** BUILD FAILED **

./utils/build-script: fatal error: command terminated with a non-zero exit status 65, aborting

Some notes:

• I've deleted .build, but I'm getting the same result
  • I'm using Xcode 10.1 and it's the one being used on xcode-select
  • I'm able to compile the project with build-script --release

Anything that I am missing?

@jrose have you seen something like this? The cycle is non-sensical; the warning implies that lib-Basic-8-UnicodeExtendedGraphemeClusters.cpp is the issue, but that's not specifically part of complete-test.

Oh, I see we have a bot failing on UnicodeExtendedGraphemeClusters.cpp:

https://ci.swift.org/job/oss-swift-incremental-RA-macOS-xcode/134/

error: Build input file cannot be found: '<...>/lib/Basic/8/UnicodeExtendedGraphemeClusters.cpp'

I'm not sure why the bot doesn't have that cycle error, but it seems likely that it's the same or a closely related issue. For Apple folks this is rdar://47446311

The "file cannot be found" thing is a longstanding issue with building the generated Xcode project that unfortunately no one's looked into that I know of. You can fix it manually by deleting the "8" directory, which forces regeneration. I don't know what's up with the cycle, though; I haven't seen that one before.