Discombobulated in Discourse land

I've been trying to come to terms with using Discourse after having been pretty happy with using email for many years. While I appreciate the better formatting and threading support, I have, so far, been unhappy with navigation in Discourse. Though I have to concede that perhaps I just don't yet "get" it.

The thing I find most frustrating is navigating through unread posts. In Mail, jumping to the next unread post was a matter of a single keystroke in Mac Mail, or a single tap on my iPad. But in Discourse, that has become a tap to enter the topic, then (at least) a tap of the back button to return to the previous page. In other words, more or less twice the amount of UI interaction unless some of it gets folded out due to there being multiple unread posts in a topic, which then involve instead some additional amount of scrolling.

I guess what I'm asking is, is there a single keystroke (or tap on iOS) that will take me to the next unread post? Without doing the back/tap to enter next dance? I don't see such described in the keystroke summary, though maybe I'm missing something.

Such a feature would make me really happy, I think, and would seem to save quite a bit of effort. Does this bug anybody else? Have I somehow missed that this feature already exists? It would seem to me to be more useful than any of the other shortcuts.

2 Likes

@sam.saffron do you have any guidance here?

Yeah, we always show unread in "Suggested Topics" at the top, so just scroll down a bit after you finish reading your topic and then you can visit the next unread.

1 Like

My feelings about moving from e-mail to the web: if only there was an Internet protocol we can USE that was dedicated to presenting a NETwork of forums....

Why do I have the feeling that this is a decades-old solved problem? :wink:

2 Likes