Development Snapshots: Which Xcode?


(Robert Vaessen) #1

Can swift 3 development snapshots (such as swift-DEVELOPMENT-SNAPSHOT-2016-07-29-a-osx.pkg) be installed and then selected as toolchain in Xcode 7.3.1?

Looking through the Download section of Swift.org gives me the impression that Xcode 8.0 Beta must be used.

···

———————————————
Robert Vaessen
704-996-1080
robert@rvaessen.com


(Saagar Jha) #2

It appears so, as further down the page it says:

Swift 3.0
  • macOS 10.11.5 (El Capitan)
  • Xcode 8.0 beta or later

I remember there being a Swift 3 toolchain that worked with Xcode 7…let me see if I can find it.

Saagar Jha

···

On Aug 1, 2016, at 18:12, Robert Vaessen via swift-users <swift-users@swift.org> wrote:

Can swift 3 development snapshots (such as swift-DEVELOPMENT-SNAPSHOT-2016-07-29-a-osx.pkg) be installed and then selected as toolchain in Xcode 7.3.1?

Looking through the Download section of Swift.org <http://swift.org/> gives me the impression that Xcode 8.0 Beta must be used.

———————————————
Robert Vaessen
704-996-1080
robert@rvaessen.com <mailto:robert@rvaessen.com>_______________________________________________
swift-users mailing list
swift-users@swift.org <mailto:swift-users@swift.org>
https://lists.swift.org/mailman/listinfo/swift-users


(Robert Vaessen) #3

Thanks, Saagar.

No need to look; I'll grab Xcode 8.

···

———————————————
Robert Vaessen
704-996-1080
robert@rvaessen.com

On August 1, 2016 at 9:15:14 PM, Saagar Jha (saagar@saagarjha.com) wrote:

It appears so, as further down the page it says:

Swift 3.0
• macOS 10.11.5 (El Capitan)
• Xcode 8.0 beta or later

I remember there being a Swift 3 toolchain that worked with Xcode 7…let me see if I can find it.

Saagar Jha

On Aug 1, 2016, at 18:12, Robert Vaessen via swift-users <swift-users@swift.org> wrote:

Can swift 3 development snapshots (such as swift-DEVELOPMENT-SNAPSHOT-2016-07-29-a-osx.pkg) be installed and then selected as toolchain in Xcode 7.3.1?

Looking through the Download section of Swift.org gives me the impression that Xcode 8.0 Beta must be used.

———————————————
Robert Vaessen
704-996-1080
robert@rvaessen.com
_______________________________________________
swift-users mailing list
swift-users@swift.org
https://lists.swift.org/mailman/listinfo/swift-users


(Saagar Jha) #4

I checked in my /Library/Developer/Toolchains and found "swift-DEVELOPMENT-SNAPSHOT-2016-05-31-a.xctoolchain”. I’m not sure if it’s still available, though.
Saagar Jha

···

On Aug 1, 2016, at 18:18, Robert Vaessen <robert@rvaessen.com> wrote:

Thanks, Saagar.

No need to look; I'll grab Xcode 8.

———————————————
Robert Vaessen
704-996-1080
robert@rvaessen.com <mailto:robert@rvaessen.com>
On August 1, 2016 at 9:15:14 PM, Saagar Jha (saagar@saagarjha.com <mailto:saagar@saagarjha.com>) wrote:

It appears so, as further down the page it says:

Swift 3.0
• macOS 10.11.5 (El Capitan)
• Xcode 8.0 beta or later

I remember there being a Swift 3 toolchain that worked with Xcode 7…let me see if I can find it.

Saagar Jha

On Aug 1, 2016, at 18:12, Robert Vaessen via swift-users <swift-users@swift.org <mailto:swift-users@swift.org>> wrote:

Can swift 3 development snapshots (such as swift-DEVELOPMENT-SNAPSHOT-2016-07-29-a-osx.pkg) be installed and then selected as toolchain in Xcode 7.3.1?

Looking through the Download section of Swift.org <http://swift.org/> gives me the impression that Xcode 8.0 Beta must be used.

———————————————
Robert Vaessen
704-996-1080
robert@rvaessen.com <mailto:robert@rvaessen.com>_______________________________________________
swift-users mailing list
swift-users@swift.org <mailto:swift-users@swift.org>
https://lists.swift.org/mailman/listinfo/swift-users


(Robert Vaessen) #5

Hey Saagar,

I installed Xcode 8 beta 4 and I installed the 2016-07-29 swift development snapshot, i.e. swift 3 toolchain

Xcode 7.3.1 shows me the toolchain but will not allow me to select it. Xcode 8 does allow me to select it.

So, there we are: the download section on swift.org was accurate, the swift 3 toolchain requires Xcode 8.

Thanks again for your willingness to help!

···

———————————————
Robert Vaessen
704-996-1080
robert@rvaessen.com

On August 1, 2016 at 9:27:12 PM, Saagar Jha (saagar@saagarjha.com) wrote:

I checked in my /Library/Developer/Toolchains and found "swift-DEVELOPMENT-SNAPSHOT-2016-05-31-a.xctoolchain”. I’m not sure if it’s still available, though.
Saagar Jha

On Aug 1, 2016, at 18:18, Robert Vaessen <robert@rvaessen.com> wrote:

Thanks, Saagar.

No need to look; I'll grab Xcode 8.

———————————————
Robert Vaessen
704-996-1080
robert@rvaessen.com

On August 1, 2016 at 9:15:14 PM, Saagar Jha (saagar@saagarjha.com) wrote:

It appears so, as further down the page it says:

Swift 3.0
• macOS 10.11.5 (El Capitan)
• Xcode 8.0 beta or later

I remember there being a Swift 3 toolchain that worked with Xcode 7…let me see if I can find it.

Saagar Jha

On Aug 1, 2016, at 18:12, Robert Vaessen via swift-users <swift-users@swift.org> wrote:

Can swift 3 development snapshots (such as swift-DEVELOPMENT-SNAPSHOT-2016-07-29-a-osx.pkg) be installed and then selected as toolchain in Xcode 7.3.1?

Looking through the Download section of Swift.org gives me the impression that Xcode 8.0 Beta must be used.

———————————————
Robert Vaessen
704-996-1080
robert@rvaessen.com
_______________________________________________
swift-users mailing list
swift-users@swift.org
https://lists.swift.org/mailman/listinfo/swift-users