Compilation Error - Which Toolchain

Hi Phillipe,

Unfortunately the revert has been reverted by @gribozavr which means that master again will not build on a Mac running latest toolchain snapshot for Xcode. Seems there are downstream dependencies on swift-corelibs-foundation being up-to-date with where swift master is tracking.

If the master branch of swift-corelibs-foundation indeed tracks swift master how shall we configure our local development environments for a Mac? The pre-canned toolchain snapshots from swift.org get stale quickly. Building the toolchain from swift source takes a long time, over three hours in my experience. Given the commit cadence on swift master rebuilding the toolchain daily isn’t a viable option.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Michael.

···

Date: Fri, 20 May 2016 09:09:00 -0700

Just pushed the revert, I will revisit it when we have the next drop of the toolchains for all platforms that include the required change for this correction.

Yah, because of the integration with the CI system (which we absolutely want), master of scl-foundation should certainly track Swift master.

I’m hoping that this kinds of incompatibilities are a temporary problem, and that as things settle down in the Swift 3 release we will have less source breaking changes to coordinate.

We could invent some kind of solution where we have a ‘stable’ branch which uses the last toolchain, but frankly managing the complexity of that would probably be not worth it in the end.

The other option is to have CI post snapshots more often, and I think that’s something that is also being looked into.

- Tony

···

On May 21, 2016, at 12:26 AM, Michael Koukoullis via swift-corelibs-dev <swift-corelibs-dev@swift.org> wrote:

Hi Phillipe,

Unfortunately the revert has been reverted by @gribozavr which means that master again will not build on a Mac running latest toolchain snapshot for Xcode. Seems there are downstream dependencies on swift-corelibs-foundation being up-to-date with where swift master is tracking.

If the master branch of swift-corelibs-foundation indeed tracks swift master how shall we configure our local development environments for a Mac? The pre-canned toolchain snapshots from swift.org get stale quickly. Building the toolchain from swift source takes a long time, over three hours in my experience. Given the commit cadence on swift master rebuilding the toolchain daily isn’t a viable option.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Michael.

Date: Fri, 20 May 2016 09:09:00 -0700

Just pushed the revert, I will revisit it when we have the next drop of the toolchains for all platforms that include the required change for this correction.