Cannot call CFStreamCreatePairWithSocket on Linux

Hello all,

While attempting a simple Swift client-server program on Linux using CFSocket, I tried to create CFReadStream and CFWriteStream instances using CFStreamCreatePairWithSocket(:::). The program compiles and links but it crashes with this:

2016-03-15 10:30:17.791 Client[21389:5a501740] CoreFoundation: failed to dynamically link symbol _CFSocketStreamCreatePair

2016-03-15 10:30:17.791 Client[21389:5a501740] CoreFoundation: failed to dynamically link symbol _CFErrorCreateWithStreamError

2016-03-15 10:30:17.791 Client[21389:5a501740] CoreFoundation: failed to dynamically link symbol _CFStreamErrorFromCFError

I see that these symbols are dynamically linked from CFNetwork which, I guess, doesn't exist on Linux (so there is no lookup for these symbols on Linux).

Does this qualify to be a CFStream limitation on Linux?

Thanks in advance for your time!

Pushkar N Kulkarni,

IBM Runtimes

Simplicity is prerequisite for reliability - Edsger W. Dijkstra

You are correct, those symbols are from CFNetwork which are not yet implemented on linux targets. CFStream is implemented but CFSocketStream is not implemented in swift-corelibs-foundation. It could be technically reasonable to port the open source (very old) CFNetwork to linux. However I am fairly certain that would take a bit of work to get up and running; especially the Security framework portions.

···

On Mar 15, 2016, at 7:54 AM, Pushkar N Kulkarni via swift-corelibs-dev <swift-corelibs-dev@swift.org> wrote:

Hello all,

While attempting a simple Swift client-server program on Linux using CFSocket, I tried to create CFReadStream and CFWriteStream instances using CFStreamCreatePairWithSocket(_:_:_:_). The program compiles and links but it crashes with this:

2016-03-15 10:30:17.791 Client[21389:5a501740] CoreFoundation: failed to dynamically link symbol _CFSocketStreamCreatePair

2016-03-15 10:30:17.791 Client[21389:5a501740] CoreFoundation: failed to dynamically link symbol _CFErrorCreateWithStreamError

2016-03-15 10:30:17.791 Client[21389:5a501740] CoreFoundation: failed to dynamically link symbol _CFStreamErrorFromCFError

I see that these symbols are dynamically linked from CFNetwork which, I guess, doesn't exist on Linux (so there is no lookup for these symbols on Linux).

Pushkar N Kulkarni,
IBM Runtimes

For interests sake, how come it could link?

···

You are correct, those symbols are from CFNetwork which are not yet implemented on linux targets. CFStream is implemented but CFSocketStream is not implemented in swift-corelibs-foundation. It could be technically reasonable to port the open source (very old) CFNetwork to linux. However I am fairly certain that would take a bit of work to get up and running; especially the Security framework portions.

On Mar 15, 2016, at 7:54 AM, Pushkar N Kulkarni via swift-corelibs-dev <swift-corelibs-dev@swift.org <mailto:swift-corelibs-dev@swift.org>> wrote:

Hello all,

While attempting a simple Swift client-server program on Linux using CFSocket, I tried to create CFReadStream and CFWriteStream instances using CFStreamCreatePairWithSocket(_:_:_:_). The program compiles and links but it crashes with this:

Pushkar N Kulkarni,
IBM Runtimes

CFNetwork is a separate dynamic library that is lazily loaded via dlopen. So we don’t need to have CFNetwork present to build.

···

On Mar 15, 2016, at 10:51 AM, Max Howell <max.howell@apple.com> wrote:

For interests sake, how come it could link?

On Mar 15, 2016, at 7:54 AM, Pushkar N Kulkarni via swift-corelibs-dev <swift-corelibs-dev@swift.org <mailto:swift-corelibs-dev@swift.org>> wrote:

Hello all,

Pushkar N Kulkarni,
IBM Runtimes

I'm running into the same issue as outlined in this post. Are there currently any plans on bringing CFNetwork to swift-corelibs?

···

On 2016-03-15 15:07:15 +0000, Philippe Hausler via swift-corelibs-dev said:

On Mar 15, 2016, at 7:54 AM, Pushkar N Kulkarni via swift-corelibs-dev > <swift-corelibs-dev@swift.org> wrote:

Hello all,

Pushkar N Kulkarni,
IBM Runtimes

--
-Bouke

Hi Bouke,

There is currently no plan to open source the more modern versions of CFNetwork. We’ll have to replace its functionality in swift-corelibs-foundation.

- Tony

···

On Oct 8, 2016, at 1:12 AM, Bouke Haarsma via swift-corelibs-dev <swift-corelibs-dev@swift.org> wrote:

I'm running into the same issue as outlined in this post. Are there currently any plans on bringing CFNetwork to swift-corelibs?

On 2016-03-15 15:07:15 +0000, Philippe Hausler via swift-corelibs-dev said:

Hello all,

Pushkar N Kulkarni,
IBM Runtimes

--
-Bouke