Calling C++ constructors -- looking for feedback on my approach

I’ve reconsidered and have now taken an approach that doesn’t require me to plumb the GlobalDecl through to SignatureExpansion. This seemed problematic for reasons discussed before: It breaks the idea that a Signature can be computed solely from a CanSILFunctionType, and we’d need to make sure the constructor doesn’t get called indirectly. Besides, computing the correct LLVM signature isn’t the only problem we have to solve; we also have to make sure we pass the right implicit arguments when we actually call the constructor.

Instead, I now do this:

• Give the constructor a SIL function type that make SignatureExpansion produce a best-effort guess at what the constructor signature should look like (namely, pass a this pointer as the first argument and return void).
  • If this assumption wasn’t correct, emit a thunk that adds any required implicit parameters and adjusts the return type if necessary. This thunk is alwaysinline, so there is no runtime overhead. There is some compile-time overhead from having LLVM inline the thunk; if this turns out to be excessive, I’ll make a followup change to emit the correct callsite without a thunk in the case of direct calls.

The PR (Add support for calling C++ constructors by martinboehme · Pull Request #30630 · apple/swift · GitHub) is still marked “draft”, but this is only because it requires a change to land in Clang that allows the implicit constructor args to be retrieved. I think this is the right approach and consider the PR to be final in terms of what I’d like to merge, and I’d appreciate a review at this point.