Building Swift 3 under ArchLinux

Hi Farhan,

To build Swift on ArchLinux you will need to install the perl package which includes pod2man. I think the list of dependencies at Building Swift from Source — swiftenv 1.4.0 documentation is correct and should contain everything you need.

$ pacman -S perl libbsd icu git libedit python2 clang make ninja

Hope this helps,

Kyle

···

Hi,

I am hoping someone would be able to help with the following problem:

I am trying to build Swift 3 under ArchLinux. I have followed the build instructions and everything has been cloned and kick off the build by typing: ./swift/utils/build-script -R

After a long while the build errors out at (emphasis mine):

copying static files... done
copying extra files... done
dumping search index in English (code: en) ... done
dumping object inventory... done
build succeeded.
[574/574] Generating swift.1
FAILED: docs/tools/swift.1
cd /home/insha/build/Ninja-ReleaseAssert/swift-linux-x86_64/docs/tools && /usr/bin/core_perl/pod2man --section 1 --center Swift\ Documentation --release --name swift --stderr /home/insha/swift/docs/tools/swift.pod > /home/insha/build/Ninja-ReleaseAssert/swift-linux-x86_64/docs/tools/swift.1
Can't open swift: No such file or directory at /usr/bin/core_perl/pod2man line 70.
ninja: build stopped: subcommand failed.
./swift/utils/build-script: fatal error: command terminated with a non-zero exit status 1, aborting

So what am I doing wrong? What can I do to either fix this issue or skip it if it is not essential (i.e. docs, etc.)? Any help and pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Best,
Farhan

1 Like

Thanks Kyle for the help and link to the swiftenv. I didn’t know it was available, and was wondering if there was one available… saves me the trouble of writing one ;)

I have all dependencies installed. The error seems to be that the docs/tools/swift.1 file that is created is zero bytes, so I am thinking that that file should not be zero bytes… back to figuring out why that file is zero bytes.

As an aside, to me this looks like it is trying to build docs or something non-essential, therefore why throw an error, and not a warning and continue with the build? (this is a question for you Swift build managers! … if anyone from there is reading this.)

Best,
Farhan

···

On Jul 17, 2016, at 5:14 AM, Kyle Fuller via swift-users <swift-users@swift.org> wrote:

Hi Farhan,

To build Swift on ArchLinux you will need to install the perl package which includes pod2man. I think the list of dependencies at Building Swift from Source — swiftenv 1.4.0 documentation is correct and should contain everything you need.

Hope this helps,

Kyle

Hi,

I am trying to build Swift 3 under ArchLinux. I have followed the build instructions and everything has been cloned and kick off the build by typing: ./swift/utils/build-script -R

build succeeded.
cd /home/insha/build/Ninja-ReleaseAssert/swift-linux-x86_64/docs/tools && /usr/bin/core_perl/pod2man --section 1 --center Swift\ Documentation --release --name swift --stderr /home/insha/swift/docs/tools/swift.pod > /home/insha/build/Ninja-ReleaseAssert/swift-linux-x86_64/docs/tools/swift.1
Can't open swift: No such file or directory at /usr/bin/core_perl/pod2man line 70.
./swift/utils/build-script: fatal error: command terminated with a non-zero exit status 1, aborting

So what am I doing wrong? What can I do to either fix this issue or skip it if it is not essential (i.e. docs, etc.)? Any help and pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Best,
Farhan

Thanks Kyle for the help and link to the swiftenv. I didn’t know it was available, and was wondering if there was one available… saves me the trouble of writing one ;)

I have all dependencies installed. The error seems to be that the docs/tools/swift.1 file that is created is zero bytes, so I am thinking that that file should not be zero bytes… back to figuring out why that file is zero bytes.

As an aside, to me this looks like it is trying to build docs or something non-essential, therefore why throw an error, and not a warning and continue with the build? (this is a question for you Swift build managers! … if anyone from there is reading this.)

I can't speak to that specific issue, but if you want to turn off docs in your build, the cmake option you want is -DSWIFT_INCLUDE_DOCS=false.

Michael

···

On Jul 17, 2016, at 12:58 PM, Farhan Ahmed via swift-users <swift-users@swift.org> wrote:

Best,
Farhan

On Jul 17, 2016, at 5:14 AM, Kyle Fuller via swift-users <swift-users@swift.org> wrote:

Hi Farhan,

Hope this helps,

Kyle

Hi,

build succeeded.

Best,
Farhan

I ran into the same error a few weeks ago. I can’t remember where I found this and why it fixes things, but this patch made swift build again for me:

diff --git a/cmake/modules/SwiftManpage.cmake b/cmake/modules/SwiftManpage.cmake
index 480b100..3bb1af3 100644
--- a/cmake/modules/SwiftManpage.cmake
+++ b/cmake/modules/SwiftManpage.cmake
@@ -30,7 +30,7 @@ function(manpage)
       unused_var
       COMMAND
         "${POD2MAN}" "--section" "${MP_MAN_SECTION}"
- "--center" "${MP_PAGE_HEADER}" "--release"
+ "--center" "${MP_PAGE_HEADER}"
         "--name" "${MP_MAN_FILE_BASENAME}"
         "--stderr"
         "${MP_SOURCE}" > "${output_file_name}”

I’m not familiar with pod2man, can someone more familiar shed some light on what this does and wether it could be fixed upstream?

— Lukas

···

On 17 Jul 2016, at 21:58, Farhan Ahmed via swift-users <swift-users@swift.org> wrote:

Best,
Farhan

Hi Farhan,

Hope this helps,

Kyle

Hi,

build succeeded.

Best,
Farhan

Thank Lukas. I applied that patch and it did not work for me, at for the incremental build. I will do a complete clean kick off the build process with this patch to see if that resolves the issue.

Best,
Farhan

···

On Jul 17, 2016, at 10:48 PM, Lukas Stabe <ahti333@gmail.com> wrote:

I ran into the same error a few weeks ago. I can’t remember where I found this and why it fixes things, but this patch made swift build again for me:

diff --git a/cmake/modules/SwiftManpage.cmake b/cmake/modules/SwiftManpage.cmake
index 480b100..3bb1af3 100644
--- a/cmake/modules/SwiftManpage.cmake
+++ b/cmake/modules/SwiftManpage.cmake
@@ -30,7 +30,7 @@ function(manpage)
      unused_var
      COMMAND
        "${POD2MAN}" "--section" "${MP_MAN_SECTION}"
- "--center" "${MP_PAGE_HEADER}" "--release"
+ "--center" "${MP_PAGE_HEADER}"
        "--name" "${MP_MAN_FILE_BASENAME}"
        "--stderr"
        "${MP_SOURCE}" > "${output_file_name}”

I’m not familiar with pod2man, can someone more familiar shed some light on what this does and wether it could be fixed upstream?

— Lukas

On 17 Jul 2016, at 21:58, Farhan Ahmed via swift-users <swift-users@swift.org> wrote:

Best,
Farhan

Hi Farhan,

Hope this helps,

Kyle

Hi,

build succeeded.

Best,
Farhan