Best way to break a integer into powers of 2

For example, if I have an Int8 value 0b00010010, I would like to get an [Int8] of 0b10000 and 0b10. For now, I can only come up with an iterative approach using trailingZeroBitCount and bit-shift operators, like this:

func twosPowers(in numberToBreakUp: Int32) -> [Int32] {
    var partialResult: [Int32] = []

var unsignedCopy = UInt32(bitPattern: numberToBreakUp)
    var currentTrailingZeroCount = unsignedCopy.trailingZeroBitCount
    var accumulatedTrailingZeroCount = currentTrailingZeroCount

while accumulatedTrailingZeroCount < 32 {
        partialResult.append(1 << accumulatedTrailingZeroCount)

unsignedCopy >>= (currentTrailingZeroCount + 1)
        currentTrailingZeroCount = unsignedCopy.trailingZeroBitCount
        accumulatedTrailingZeroCount += currentTrailingZeroCount + 1
    }

return partialResult
}

Is there a better way of doing it?

Also, my use case for this is breaking an OptionSet into individual options, is there a better way for it than calling the above function on its raw value:

let individualOptions = twosPowers(in someOptions.rawValue).map { SomeOptions(rawValue: $0) }

That depends on what you mean by “better”—and what you actually want to achieve with this.

If you just want a shorter implementation:

func twosPowers<T: BinaryInteger>(_ n: T) -> [T] {
  (0 ..< n.bitWidth).reversed().compactMap { i in
    let x = n & (1 << i)
    return (x == 0) ? nil : x
  }
}

In fact, if you’re okay having the result start with the low bits instead of the high, you can remove the .reversed() call.

• • •

If you think it’ll be faster to skip over the zero-bits, an iterative approach works. But I’d suggest benchmarking to be sure, because the simpler version above might be fine:

func twosPowers<T: BinaryInteger>(_ n: T) -> [T] {
  var n = n
  var result: [T] = []

while n != 0 {
    let b: T = 1 << n.trailingZeroBitCount
    result.append(b)
    n ^= b
  }

return result.reversed()
}

…where again the .reversed() call may be removed if you like.

• • •

On the other hand, if you don’t actually need an Array per se, and just want to be able to iterate over the bits, then a custom collection will work. It’s rather more code than the above, but it avoids allocating an array:

struct BitSequence<T: FixedWidthInteger> {
  var bits: T
  init(_ bits: T) { self.bits = bits }
}

extension BitSequence: BidirectionalCollection {
  var startIndex: Int { bits.trailingZeroBitCount }
  var endIndex: Int { T.bitWidth }
  var count: Int { bits.nonzeroBitCount }
  var isEmpty: Bool { bits == 0 }

subscript(position: Int) -> T { 1 << position }

func index(after i: Int) -> Int {
    let b: T = 1 << i
    let highMask = ~b ^ (b &- 1)
    return (bits & highMask).trailingZeroBitCount
  }

func index(before i: Int) -> Int {
    let b: T = 1 << i
    let lowMask = b &- 1
    let z = (bits & lowMask).leadingZeroBitCount
    return T.bitWidth - 1 - z
  }
}

This starts with the low bits, so its order is the reverse of the previous examples. You’re free to change that if you prefer.

4 Likes

Thanks for the 3 suggestions and sorry for the late response!

Right. I should've been more clear about it. What I was mainly looking for was something more "efficient", like a solution that does not iterate through the bits of an integer, although I feel that might only be possible via compiler intrinsics or assemblies. But at the same time, I was also looking for any improvement to my algorithm in general, and I think the 3 algorithms you suggested are all better than mine in some ways.

It's not highlighted in your post, but I want to point out that by not right-shifting the number, you were able to make the algorithm generic. I think it's a great improvement.

What I was mainly looking for was something more "efficient", like a solution that does not iterate through the bits of an integer, although I feel that might only be possible via compiler intrinsics or assemblies

You could optimize it by checking if the upper 50% or 75% of the bits are all zeroes (using a bit mask and conditional). A lot of 64-bit integers rarely exceed 4 billion, so you could double or quadruple performance. Other than that, it's fundamentally impossible to optimize it further on the ALU side without implementing @Nevin's advice. If there was a special instruction (there probably might be on x86), then the overhead of creating an algorithm for it might outweigh the benefits of a simpler algorithm. Also, it wouldn't work on ARM, which has a very limited instruction set.

The biggest performance concern with this is memory allocation-bound, not ALU-bound, because you're creating an array. I do have a few tips for optimizing that. First, call reserveCapacity on the array by expanding it to the value of .nonZeroBitCount. Second, you could use the unsafeUninitializedCapacity array initializer to eliminate an extra function call.

It's hard to accurately profile because the problem size is so small. The time resolution of clock_gettime_nsec_np(CLOCK_UPTIME_RAW) is roughly 1 microsecond, enough for around 10 function calls. In my opinion, it isn't worth optimizing this unless you're facing a serious bottleneck in a larger program. Or, if you're doing it just for the sake of doing it, then go ahead!

Shifting and counting are for chumps:

struct PowersOfTwo<T: FixedWidthInteger>: Sequence, IteratorProtocol { 

internal var remaining: T 

mutating func next() -> T? { 
    guard remaining != 0 else { return nil } 
    let lsb = remaining & ~(remaining &- 1)
    remaining &= ~lsb 
    return lsb 
  } 

init(summingTo value: T) { remaining = value } 
}

for v in PowersOfTwo(summingTo: 0b1100_0101) {
  print(v) 
} 
// 1
// 4
// 64
// 128
20 Likes

if .trailingZeroBitCount is fast:

extension FixedWidthInteger {
    func blah() -> [Int] {
        var result = [Int]()
        result.reserveCapacity(nonzeroBitCount)
        var n = self
        while n != 0 {
            let p: Self = 1 << n.trailingZeroBitCount
            result.append(Int(p))
            n = n ^ p
        }
        return result
    }
}

I think result should be Int, not type of the original integer value.

The best way to make this efficient is to never create an array. Make a collection that just stores the Int. Which is (almost) what @scanon did

Is it possible to learn this power?

If I need to use the result for multiple times, would it be more efficient to create an array (or set or other containers) and store it instead of repeatedly calculating the result? I think I should benchmark it to know.

For my use case, I need the original type, because I'm splitting an OptionSet value into individual options.

Computing the next result is about as efficient as loading it from memory (and possibly more efficient, if bounds checks fail to be eliminated); it requires only two or three arithmetic instructions to get the result, and one more to update the sequence (or vice-versa, depending on what the compiler decides to do). Even if you need to iterate through the bits repeatedly, recalculating will be competitive in this case.

Not from the Swift forums (at least not quickly from the Swift forums). Hacker's Delight by Henry Warren is a good source for this type of trickery.

15 Likes

Bit Twiddling Hacks is another great resource.

I use one of their algorithms to check if a buffer contains a particular byte (e.g. to check if some UTF-8 buffer contains a particular ASCII character). It can process chunks of 8 bytes in just a handful of instructions:

not     rbx
        and     rbx, r9
        xor     rcx, r10
        add     rcx, r11
        test    rcx, rbx
        jne     .LBB1_9
8 Likes
Terms of Service

Privacy Policy

Cookie Policy