AWS Lambda Runtime API

(Natan Rolnik) #21

I forked @tonisuter 's great implementation of the Lambda runtime API and was able to add support for async tasks/operations as well.

I was having a crash related to (what I believe) DNS resolution, but adding the /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libnss_dns.so.2 lib to the layer fixed it.

However, there is still the HTTPS error to sort out.

Toni, good job on what you did!

1 Like
(Joe Smith) #22

Wanted to highlight that @jasonzurita posted about this at https://www.jasonzurita.com/websites-using-swift-and-aws-lambda :tada:

2 Likes
(Jason Zurita) #23

natanrolnik had the idea of trying to build the Swift source using the AWS Lambda linux (Amazon Linux) environment to resolve the HTTPS issue. I tried this out, by using this docker image, but I run into the following error (since it looks like you are trying something similar, I am not sure if you ran into the same thing @sebsto):

bash-4.2# ./swift/utils/build-script -r
./swift/utils/build-script: note: Using toolchain default
./swift/utils/build-script: fatal error: can't find clang (please install clang-3.5 or a later version)

Here is what I did to get the above:

docker run -it --name swiftawslinux amazonlinux /bin/bash
yum install cmake ninja-build clang python uuid-dev libicu-dev icu-devtools libbsd-dev libedit-dev libxml2-dev libsqlite3-dev swig libpython-dev libncurses5-dev pkg-config libblocksruntime-dev libcurl4-openssl-dev systemtap-sdt-dev tzdata rsync
mkdir swift-source
cd !$
git clone https://github.com/apple/swift.git
./swift/utils/update-checkout --clone
./swift/utils/build-script -r

If anyone has any suggestions of what to try, that would be great!

1 Like
(Sébastien Stormacq) #24

IMHO, there are two possibilities to address the GNUTLS/HTTPS issue

• a/ compile GNUTls on Ubuntu with compile-time options to point to Amazon Linux's cacerts
  • b/ compile SWIFT on Amazon Linux.

I naively thought that a/ was easiest as I would deal with less dependencies issues. I am struggling on this since several days. GNUTls has so many dependencies and I am still blocked by a lib or other not being installed or correctly identified.

I tried b/ yesterday. The issue reported above by Jason is easy to work around. You need clang, cmake3 installed. I softlinked cmake -> cmake3 etc ... I am blocked further
The problem with the approcah above is that the yum install command can not find most of these dependencies :

No package uuid-dev available.
No package libicu-dev available.
No package icu-devtools available.
No package libbsd-dev available.
No package libedit-dev available.
No package libxml2-dev available.
No package libsqlite3-dev available.
Package swig-3.0.12-11.amzn2.0.3.x86_64 already installed and latest version
No package libpython-dev available.
No package libncurses5-dev available.
No package pkg-config available.
No package libblocksruntime-dev available.
No package libcurl4-openssl-dev available.
No package systemtap-sdt-dev available.

At this stage, I would love to receive help by someone use to build native Linux projects to solve teh dependency issues on a/ or b/

3 Likes
(Prince Ugwuh) #25

Wondering if it is a dead end on the Swift on AWS Lambda? I would like to help out on getting this to work. I have no idea where to start with this. Like all of you I can write the AWS Lambda Runtime API but getting it to work with API is not there

Smoke Framework 1
(Michael Sena) #26

Regarding the SSL path issue discussed above by @natanrolnik and @sebsto. One potential solution might be to make a small change in swift-corelibs-foundation to allow for setting the path with an environment variable rather than relying on the default location that the Ubuntu based docker image uses. There already is support for this feature but it is limited to Android.

#if os(Android) || os(Linux)
  if let caInfo = getenv("URLSessionCertificateAuthorityInfoFile")  {
    try! CFURLSession_easy_setopt_ptr(rawHandle, CFURLSessionOptionCAINFO, caInfo).asError()
  }
#endif

We could change this line to also allow for Linux to configure the environment variable.

5 Likes
(Geordie J) #27

This would be even more convenient in a Lambda context than on Android- there it’s quite hard to provide the correct file path, in practice.