Any way to declare a method that suppresses the string interpolation warning?

I have a debugLog() method that looks like this:

func
debugLog<T>(_ inMsg: T, _ inFile : String = #file, _ inLine : Int = #line)
{
  let df = DateFormatter()
  df.dateFormat = "yyyy-MM-dd HH:mm:ss.SSS"
  let time = df.string(from: Date())

let file = (inFile as NSString).lastPathComponent
  print("\(time) \(file):\(inLine) \(inMsg)")
}

Is there any way to decorate it so that string interpolation of optionals passed to it inMsg don't produce the warning about using debugDescription? In the case of debug logging, that's completely acceptable, and I don't want to have to write String(describing:) everywhere.

···

--
Rick Mann
rmann@latencyzero.com

Saagar Jha

func

Well, for starters, I don’t see why you need to make this function generic. Why not make inMsg an `Any?`?

{
  let df = DateFormatter()

print("\(time) \(file):\(inLine) \(inMsg)”)

Try \(inMsg ?? “nil”).

···

On Apr 21, 2017, at 04:35, Rick Mann via swift-users <swift-users@swift.org> wrote:

}

Is there any way to decorate it so that string interpolation of optionals passed to it inMsg don't produce the warning about using debugDescription? In the case of debug logging, that's completely acceptable, and I don't want to have to write String(describing:) everywhere.

--
Rick Mann
rmann@latencyzero.com

Saagar Jha

func

Well, for starters, I don’t see why you need to make this function generic. Why not make inMsg an `Any?`?

So I can write debugLog(<something other than string>)

{
  let df = DateFormatter()

Try \(inMsg ?? “nil”).

No, this is missing the point. I don't want to have to write this everywhere. I just want to tell the compiler not to issue the warning in these cases, much in the way you can tell the compiler to check printf format specifiers.

···

On Apr 22, 2017, at 12:23 , Saagar Jha <saagar@saagarjha.com> wrote:

On Apr 21, 2017, at 04:35, Rick Mann via swift-users <swift-users@swift.org> wrote:

}

--
Rick Mann
rmann@latencyzero.com

--
Rick Mann
rmann@latencyzero.com

Apologize for the late response, this message got buried in my inbox.

Saagar Jha

Saagar Jha

func

Have you tried using `Any?`? You can pass in other stuff…

{
  let df = DateFormatter()

Try \(inMsg ?? “nil”).

No, this is missing the point. I don't want to have to write this everywhere. I just want to tell the compiler not to issue the warning in these cases, much in the way you can tell the compiler to check printf format specifiers.

The fundamental issue here is that printing an Optional is probably not what you want to do, since it will print Optional(“your wrapped value”). If this is what you want, you will need to be explicit with String(describing:); if not, then use the nil coalescing operator to fallback to a value you want. You can also try guaranteeing that the value is not an optional by unwrapping it.

···

On Apr 23, 2017, at 23:23, Rick Mann <rmann@latencyzero.com> wrote:

On Apr 22, 2017, at 12:23 , Saagar Jha <saagar@saagarjha.com <mailto:saagar@saagarjha.com>> wrote:

On Apr 21, 2017, at 04:35, Rick Mann via swift-users <swift-users@swift.org <mailto:swift-users@swift.org>> wrote:

}

--
Rick Mann
rmann@latencyzero.com

--
Rick Mann
rmann@latencyzero.com <mailto:rmann@latencyzero.com>

IIRC, Swift doesn't include a mechanism for suppressing warnings because we don't want to encourage different "dialects" of the language. The best I can offer for ignoring it is something like:
extension CustomStringConvertible {
  // for "pretty print"
  var pp: String {
    return self.description
  }
}
extension Optional where Wrapped: CustomStringConvertible {
  var pp: String {
    return self?.description ?? "nil"
  }
}
(written on my phone... might contain errors)

That way at least it's quicker to type, cleaner to read, and the code is the same between Optional and non-Optional types.

- Dave Sweeris

···

On Apr 23, 2017, at 23:23, Rick Mann via swift-users <swift-users@swift.org> wrote:

Saagar Jha

func

{
   let df = DateFormatter()

Try \(inMsg ?? “nil”).

Saagar Jha

Saagar Jha

func

That's probably fine. I just took it from some example somewhere.

{
  let df = DateFormatter()

Try \(inMsg ?? “nil”).

The fundamental issue here is that printing an Optional is probably not what you want to do, since it will print Optional(“your wrapped value”). If this is what you want, you will need to be explicit with String(describing:); if not, then use the nil coalescing operator to fallback to a value you want. You can also try guaranteeing that the value is not an optional by unwrapping it.

What I'm trying to avoid is dealing with it at the call site. I have to do that every time, and for printing of debug messages, "Optional()" is fine (although I have a proposal in mind to address that, too; I'd much rather just see "nil")

···

On Apr 30, 2017, at 11:30 , Saagar Jha <saagar@saagarjha.com> wrote:

--
Rick Mann
rmann@latencyzero.com

Saagar Jha

Saagar Jha

Saagar Jha

func

That's probably fine. I just took it from some example somewhere.

{
  let df = DateFormatter()

Try \(inMsg ?? “nil”).

What I'm trying to avoid is dealing with it at the call site. I have to do that every time, and for printing of debug messages, "Optional()" is fine (although I have a proposal in mind to address that, too; I'd much rather just see "nil”)

Hmm, your code doesn’t seem to have any warnings anymore…

···

On May 1, 2017, at 14:08, Rick Mann <rmann@latencyzero.com> wrote:

On Apr 30, 2017, at 11:30 , Saagar Jha <saagar@saagarjha.com> wrote:

--
Rick Mann
rmann@latencyzero.com <mailto:rmann@latencyzero.com>