Adding Swift Forums to iPhone/iPad Home Screen

Interesting. I'm using the dark theme on iOS.

It still doesn't go full-screen from the home screen though, I assume because of the weird quotes.

Ok try now, I've made an update that should handle both light and dark themes.

3 Likes

It's working nicely now, thanks :tada:

1 Like

The new icon and “app” mode are working for me.

Thank you @Nicole_Jacque for working on this.

1 Like

Awesome, thanks for confirming!

If using the web app on the home screen, can I log in with GitHub? So far, it gives me this, right after I do Log In ~> with GitHub

This is a known bug, brought up here: https://forums.swift.org/t/resolved-cant-login-with-github-and-safari/

1 Like

Ohhh, I see. It’s a beta thing then. No problem, thanks for pointing it out! :)

External links, opened in the web app, currently open in place. Web apps have no gesture/button to go back a page, so external links should really be opening in Safari.

Is this a simple fix?

Does the Open all external links in a new tab forum setting work for that?

I seem to have that enabled already.

Note, we are considering doing a custom WKWebView instead of SFSafariViewController. SFSafariViewController is pretty buggy on the iPhone X cause lots of times as you are navigating around it is not allowing properly for the height of the page leading to a bunch of pixels being hidden behind the address bar. The major advantage of using SFSafariViewController is gone in iOS 11 cause it has a seperate cookie store (which resolved a mountain of bugs btw).

If we had a custom web panel it would work a lot nicer I think and we could reduce a bunch of Chrome and workaround "swipe left" / "swipe right" being arbitrarily brutally slow.

I will try to add a meta tag but don't know if it works on all iPad models.