Custom String Interpolation and Compile-time Interpretation applied to Logging

I'm confused as to why this proposal is coming up.

The proposal itself is fine, but we're completely ignoring the elephant in the room: developers have zero incentive to use os_log.

As an app developer, why would I want to use a logging system where I can't retrieve the logs? The whole point of logging is so that I can programmatically gather information when something goes wrong, but os_log doesn't have a way to gather any information! (and before you chime in saying "just ask your users for a sysdiagnose", think about the steps involved in getting someone's aging parent to perform a sysdiagnose on their phone. That suggestion is so absurdly out-of-touch I have a hard time believing it's ever seriously suggested)

The point of logging is to get debuggable, actionable information in a scenario where a debugger is not available.

So if I can't get that log information from os_log, why are we talking about this at all?

(edited to add): I'm talking about the context of "I've shipped an app to customers and they're trying to request help via a support feature in the app" ← I can't programmatically ask for logs to attach to that support request. os_log stuff only ever goes to Apple (functionally) and is therefore worthless to me as a person who ships apps to customers.

24 Likes